An Integrated Campaign to Boost Arrivals
Belize is a unique and diverse destination. But air arrivals had fallen for 3 straight years and the once-strong growth of cruise arrivals was slowing. The Belize Tourism Board knew it needed to increase its visibility in the U.S. marketplace so they turned to JG Black Book to lead their Public Relations and Trade Representation efforts.
Strategy & Tactics
- Identified and leveraged key destination themes including cultural, romantic and culinary as well as timely “Maya 2012” pitch points with all media and travel professionals.
- Conducted targeted outreach to top editors and secured desk-side appointments for BTB Board members.
- Worked with the BTB to organize multiple individual media visits and group press trips.
- Consulted on major in-country visits by high-profile celebrities and production teams, while leveraging the opportunities for prolific media coverage (Prince Harry’s visit and ABC’s “The Bachelor”).
- Facilitated a destination wedding / honeymoon partnership with TheKnot.com (4 million UVPM).
- Ensured preferred membership in Virtuoso’s destination program.
- Managed the destination’s participation in Travel + Leisure’s Global Bazaar showcase.
- Secured spot as Tzell Travel’s first destination “Partner of the Month.”
- Held regular sales calls throughout country and hosted road shows in key direct flight markets.
- Established target tour operators and conducted strategic outreach campaign.
- Held in-country focus group for BTB constituents to increase their understanding of U.S. trade marketplace.
- Reviewed and created new promotional collateral and launched bimonthly trade enewsletter.
- Over 1,000 broadcast, print and online hits with $26 million in PR value and over 8 billion impressions in less than 1 year.
- Tourist arrivals grew 11.8% from January – June 2014 over the same period in 2013.
- Major placements included Travel Channels’ “Hot Spots 2012” feature, a segment on The TODAY show, TLC’s “Four Weddings”, and major stories in The New York Times, Brides, Bridal Guide, Travel Agent Magazine, Vancouver Sun, The Washington Post, FoxNews.com and Huffington Post.
- Achieved PR ROI of 209:1.
- Held more than 160 appointments in 70 cities, meeting with over 1,700 agents and Tour Operators with demonstrable sales increases at target agencies that shared booking data.
- Established new Tour Operator relationships and increased activity from operators already operating in Belize. One target operator increased bookings from $150,000 in 2011 to over $1,000,000 in Q1/2 2012.
- Agent database increased by 44.2%.